Money Laundering Regulations 2017

Money Laundering Regulations 2017 


The Money Laundering Regulations 2017 requires all Estate agents to carry out Anti Money Laundering (AML) checks on all vendors and purchasers. To do this Boydens will secure the relevant ID from the vendor prior to instruction for the purpose of the AML check.  Purchasers will be required to carry out an AML questionnaire upon acceptance of offer and prior to solicitors commencing the required conveyancing.  

All data retained will be in accordance with our GDPR policy which can be viewed by clicking here.  As a guide, below is a list of acceptable ID documents that can be used as part of your AML check.  If you are asked to provide your ID Boydens will need to have sight of the original so that they take a certified colour copy.  In the event that extra due diligence is required, we will advise as to what further ID is required as part of the check.

Proof of identity checklist for individuals

You cannot use one form of identification for both name and address. For example, if you provide your driving licence as proof of your name you must provide another form of identification for your address, such as a utility bill.

Proof of name

Proof of address

Current signed passport

Utility bill (gas, electric, satellite television, landline phone bill) issued within the last three months

Original birth certificate (UK birth certificate issued within 12 months of the date of birth in full form including those issued by UK authorities overseas such as Embassies High Commissions and HM Forces)

Local authority council tax bill for the current council tax year

EEA member state identity card (which can also be used as evidence of address if it carries this)

Current UK driving licence (but only if not used for the name evidence)

Current UK or EEA photocard driving licence

Bank, Building Society or Credit Union statement or passbook dated within the last three months

Full old-style driving licence

Original mortgage statement from a recognised lender issued for the last full year

Photographic registration cards for self-employed individuals in the construction industry -CIS4

Solicitors letter within the last three months confirming recent house purchase or land registry confirmation of address

Benefit book or original notification letter from Benefits Agency

Council or housing association rent card or tenancy agreement for the current year

Firearms or shotgun certificate

Benefit book or original notification letter from Benefits Agency (but not if used as proof of name)

Residence permit issued by the Home Office to EEA nationals on sight of own country passport

HMRC self-assessment letters or tax demand dated within the current financial year

National identity card bearing a photograph of the applicant

Electoral Register entry

NHS Medical card or letter of confirmation from GP’s practice of registration with the surgery